[Mailman-Users] Rejected or bounced messages.

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Wed Jan 1 23:03:40 CET 2014

On 1/1/2014 3:28 PM, Joe wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I have received several messages returned as rejected that were sent by my Mailman server as the 1st of the month subscription reminder.
>
> These messages contain a technical explanation about the reason for their rejection I don't understand but it seems to me it has something to do with the way the messages are formatted. I received several of these messages from a total of nearly 350 members we host at this moment.
>
> I won't post the messages and their entire content but just some of the reasons for their rejection. Here they are:
>

> MESSAGE 1:
>

> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <mail at epdot.com>: host mx1.megamailservers.com[216.251.32.71] said: 550
>     5.7.1 s01D0qcI004613 This message does not comply with required standards.
>

> MESSAGE 2:
>

> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <mail at me.com>: host mx6.me.com.akadns.net[17.158.8.114] said: 550
>     5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: username at me.com (in reply to RCPT
>     TO command)
>

> MESSAGE 3:
>

> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <mail at cgocable.ca>: host mx2.cgocable.ca[216.221.81.40] said: 550 #5.1.0
>     Address rejected. (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>

> MESSAGE 4:
>

> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <mail at msn.com>: host mx2.hotmail.com[65.55.92.168] said: 550 Requested
>     action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>

> Do you have any idea as to why these messages have been returned and what I need to do to resolve this issue ?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Joe.

Message 1: This message does not comply with required standards.

I have no idea.

-----

Message 2: <mail at me.com>: ...  unknown or illegal alias: username at me.com

It appears that the e-mail alias table at the destination is bad.
The e-mail alias "username" points to the mailbox "mail".
Maybe that mailbox does not exist.

-----

Message 3: Address rejected

The mailbox does not exist.