[Mailman-Users] mailman list questions about password and bounces-back for invalid emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 28 01:18:27 CET 2014

On 02/27/2014 11:01 AM, s7r wrote:

> I have 2 simple questions about mailman mail lists:
>
> 1). I can see there is an option to receive monthly reminder of
> password, and the password is sent in plain text. Is the password in
> plain text visible to the mail list owner / administrator? Or mailman
> stores a secure hash of the password like sha-256 or ripemd-160? If
> the password is stored in hash format, how come I can receive it
> monthly in plain text?

List member passwords, as opposed to list owner, list moderator and site
passwords, are stored in plain text, but there is no UI for the list
owner to see them. The site admins can always see them by dumping the
list's config.pck file with Mailman's bin/dumpdb.

> 2). If an email address works for some time but becomes suddenly
> invalid (e.g. server down, domain cancelled, etc.) and when messages
> are being sent to that address they bounce back with permanent
> failure, will mailman remove these email addresses automatically? If
> yes, after how many attempts of sending? What if the email address
> server is just down for a day or something.

See the list's web admin Bounce processing page for the settings that
control this and their documention (ignore what it says about "soft
bounces" - all failures are scored as 1.0).