[Mailman-Users] subscribe w/o confirmation?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 25 18:21:32 CET 2014

On 02/25/2014 06:15 AM, Michael Young wrote:

> I know why allowing subscriptions without either a confirmation email
> or a moderator approval is a Dangerous Thing, but is there a way to
> get MM to allow it?

For user subscriptions, you need to set Privacy options... ->
Subscription rules -> subscribe_policy to None. If the None radio button
doesn't appear, you need to set

ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes

in mm_cfg.py. Alternatively, you can set the list's subscribe_policy to
zero using withlist or config_list.

> Our list subscriptions are mostly generated by
> our lab/tool management software in response to a user getting
> qualified to use a piece of equipment, and I don't want users to have
> a choice in this case - they get subscribed, period. (They can later
> unsubscribe of course, but that means they have to actually do
> something :)

Depending on how the lab/tool management software actually subscribes
the users, the above may not be needed or even work. Obviously, whatever
you are doing now results in a confirmation request, but there are other
ways. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9>, and/or the archived
post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041214.html>

Or the software could just generate an input file for Mailman's
bin/add_members which could be invoked either directly by the software
or via a wrapper like the members.c wrapper attached to the above FAQ if
necessary for permissions, or the add_members process could be just run
periodically by cron.