[Mailman-Users] Help needed Mailman, Postfix with MySQL and Virtual Domain Lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 9 17:53:13 CET 2014

On 02/08/2014 05:24 PM, George Kasica wrote:
> Here you go sent to mailtest at netwrx1.org gets me
>
> Feb  8 19:11:41 eagle postfix/pipe[25088]: 30CEE121CDE:
> to=<mailtest at lists.netwrx1.org>, relay=mailman, delay=0.51,
> delays=0.15/0.01/0/0.35, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via mailman
> service)
>

> And a short time later I have a message in my inbox (and 4 other users test
> IDs do as well)

So the 'mailman' service can deliver to mailtest at lists.netwrx1.org, but
not to skunk-works at lists.netwrx1.org. If this service is
postfix_to_mailman.py (You never confirmed that it was or wasn't), the
only way this can happen is if the $var-prefix/lists/skunk-works/
directory doesn't exist, but then postfix_to_mailman should fail with an
error message the would be in the Postfix log message.

Therefore, it appears that the problem is not in the delivery of posts
to skunk-works at lists.netwrx1.org, but rather in the processing/delivery
of the post by Mailman.

Check Mailman's logs.

Also, are there any list members that would receive the post (Mailman's
'bin/list_members --regular --nomail=enabled skunk-works' will tell
you). If the only eligible recipient is you, is your 'not metoo' setting
off?

> From what I'm reading in the FAQ this is not a supported method by Mailman
> but I'm not seeing where its pointing me to any help in getting this
> working. Would I be better off with the official Postfix -> Mailman
> integration mentioned and if so how would I do this in the current MySQL
> environment or would I need to start over? Starting from zero concerns me a
> bit as this is currently handing mail traffic just not lists.
>
> Currently the Postfix/Mailman setup is set for MySQL simply because that's
> the FAQ I followed but this is a VERY small environment...would I be better
> served to go the route of hash.db tables and rebuild this to work that way?

If you want help from this list, we are best able to help you if you
configure Postfix to use hashes for Postfix's alias_maps and
virtual_alias_maps for Mailman list addresses as discussed at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html> and
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>. I don't
think this is necessarily incompatible with using MySQL for other addresses.