[Mailman-Users] Why does iOS's Safari log out the moderator web page?

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Wed Feb 5 23:33:30 CET 2014

On 02/05/14 16:12, Peter Shute wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2014, at 5:22 am, "Peter Shute" <pshute at nuw.org.au> wrote:
>
>>> My experience with Firefox mostly on various Linux, Mac and Windows
>>> platforms is that it does not always offer to save passwords,
>>> particularly those from financial institution websites, but it does
>>> always offer to save Mailman passwords.
This can because the web sites have a setting on the form: autocomplete="off".
  I know Safari honors this.  I don't think Mailman uses this.

>> Firefox offers to save the passwords to the same pages on a PC. I guess that means it's totally an iOS problem.
>
> It's interesting though that none of the other iOS apps I've tried offer to save it either - Atomic Lite, Chrome, Dolphin and Opera. Unless each of these uses the same faulty API to determine whether to offer to save the password or not, there must be something different about the mailman page that's fooling them. Maybe the lack of a username field?
>
> Can anyone confirm whether they've had the same experience? It's happening for me on two different servers, so I'm assuming it's universal.

I use a password management plugin with Firefox (and IE8) and it does not
handle the Mailman code well.  I assumed it was because of the lack of a user
field.  I had the same problem when managing our VoIP PBX that only had a
password field without a user name.  When a recent upgrade included a user
name field my problems went away.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ            gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.