[Mailman-Users] Digest indexes

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Wed Dec 17 21:54:21 CET 2014

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> technically speaking, "on arrival" pertains to a mail
> delivery agent, and not to a MUA, which may operate when
> first entered by the user.

Yes. I've done it at the MDA with gmail, Exchange and I think Yahoo. I used to do it in the MUA when I used Outlook Express. That works ok if you're only reading email with one device.

> I have divided the lists I am subscribed to in two categories
> and so have just two folders, one per category.
>
> For the less interesting lists, when I am away I divert them
> to /dev/null.
>
> For the most interesting lsits, I divert them to a cumulative
> folder, so I can read them when I am back.

You are a very sophisticated digests user. Perhaps there are sophisticated digest users on our list, but we also have plenty of unsophisticated ones, who demand that other list members don't clutter their digests with things they aren't interested in.

They create problems when they reply by constructing the reply by hand with a different subject line, or by simply replying to the digest email, with unchanged subject line and quoting the digest in full. The only reason they use digest mode in the first place is because they don't know how to create message rules to keep their Inbox clear of list mail.

You can probably tell I don't like digest mode at all. I'd rather encourage people to learn how to use message rules.

> I have divided the lists I am subscribed to in two categories and so have just two folders, one per category.

Personally I move all list mail to a folder per list. I've never thought of mixing mail from different lists, but that is an idea worth thinking about. It would simplify things greatly.

Peter Shute