[Mailman-Users] Digest indexes

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed Dec 17 10:56:22 CET 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> I run a high volume list (around 80 messages per day), and we have
> complaints from digest users that the digests are difficult to work
> with.

I am subscribed in MIME digest mode to all lists which support them. I
find they are a great way to receive messages once per day (more or less)
without being pestered by single messages as they come.

Good mail user agents (MUAs) should have a way to deal with MIME digests
internally. I am not familiar (nor comfortable) with "modern" MUAs
(GUI-driven), since I use good old alpine.

The default way of alpine to deal with digests is slightly awkward. One
presses V to View the digest index (which is not in a nice shape to read,
I admit), then moves the current line on one of the RFC/822 items, and
clicks, and accesses the individual message as a normal mail.

My way uses a custom key (D) to which I assigned the execution of a
one-liner script which contains

  formail +1 -ds >! ~/mail/temporary

this splits the digest into a mail folder. The same key then goes to the
index of the folder, so one can access each message as if it were a normal
mail.

I presume all good MUAs should have a way to deal with MIME digests, it is
just a matter for the user to find it. If you can find it for the most
common MUAs used by your users, then you could write instructions in a FAQ