[Mailman-Users] Digest indexes

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 17 02:27:11 CET 2014

On 12/16/2014 11:14 AM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> I don't believe you would need each message as separate MIME parts.  For reference I am going to copy out a template an admin of another list sent me - they are using Sympa.  This is a template they use for doing exactly the same thing.  I don't know anything about Sympa, but I think the template will give you a slightly better idea of what I am looking for.

So what you are really looking for is a third digest format which is
essentially the current plain text digest, but HTMLified to the extent
that the TOC contains tags like <a href="#msg1">Subject 1</a> ... and
each message is preceded with a tag like <a name="msg1"> ... and the
rest of the digest outside of those is perhaps surrounded by <pre> ...
</pre> and a HEAD section with something like

       pre {
           white-space: pre-wrap;
           }

to let long lines wrap to the window width.

This is probably doable without too much effort, but I have no plan to
do it. The side effects of adding a third digest format are messy.

If someone wanted to replace the current plain text digest for their own
list or site, say by making a site or list specific version of the
ToDigest handler, I don't think it would be two difficult, but there are
standards (RFC 1153 for plain digests, RFC 2046 for MIME digests) that
govern the format of these digest types. Thus, I wouldn't hijack one of
the two existing digest types for this new type.