[Mailman-Users] Digest indexes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Dec 17 01:48:53 CET 2014

Andrew Hodgson writes:

 > One of the examples I saw from another setup was to use in page
 > links for each message in the TOC, so the links in the TOC just put
 > the focus onto the next message.

I don't understand what this means in terms of the link's href.  It's
definitely not a matter of "just" adding a link.  Digests as sent by
Mailman include whole messages, including all the normally hidden
headers and the encoded attachments and MIME structure.  This is
straightforward to implement, you just insert a bit of separating
material between messages.  But there's nothing there for an href to
hang its hat on.  You could wrap the whole digest in HTML, insert

</pre><pre id="<MSG-ID>">

between messages and use 'href="<MSG-ID>"' in the ToC, but then the
MUA would display all the headers and not decode any attachments.  I'm
sure your subscribers would riot if you did that to them!

So we're back to the original proposition: it cannot be done
trivially.