[Mailman-Users] Digest indexes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Dec 16 14:28:06 CET 2014

Andrew Hodgson writes:

 > I run a high volume list (around 80 messages per day), and we have
 > complaints from digest users that the digests are difficult to work
 > with.  One requested feature is could the digests be in HTML
 > format, and a link be presented in the table of contents to go to
 > each message.  Can this be done in Mailman by working with the
 > digest templates?

No, it cannot be done without coding.

And it would not be easy.  HTML does not provide a "mail message"
element, so although it would be trivial to create the table of
contents, there is no good way to indicate what is at the other end of
those links.

So the approach would have to be to rip the messages into their
component atoms and put them back together, with all the pieces either
suppressed as "uninteresting" or reencapsulated in HTML for
presentation.  Images and attachments would have to be handled.  In
other words, somebody would have to write a web mail program.