[Mailman-Users] Is there a way to post "silently" to a mailing list?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Dec 6 04:03:30 CET 2014

Andrew Stuart writes:

 > It sounds like there’s no built in way so I’ll probably just modify
 > the source so that a message to BCC results in a silent post.

I find that setting the list to require the list as an explicit
addressee is one of the most effective filters for spam that makes it
through the MTA's gauntlet.  I wouldn't let a *possible* increase in
spam stop me, but do check that people aren't spamming your archives,
and perhaps strengthen other defenses.

For example, back when my lists still allowed HTML posting, my host
got a "cease-and-desist" notice from a MasterCard lawyer.  Some
miscreant was storing cracked credit card numbers in an HTML comments
in messages to the list, and distributing to his "clients" from the
Mailman archive.  (Of course this is a generic problem, but "silent
posting" makes it more dangerous.)