[Mailman-Users] group mismatch error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 5 05:22:14 CET 2014

On 12/03/2014 09:34 PM, David Benfell wrote:

> This seems to be a problem with a long pedigree. Perhaps something
> should be done to make this easily fixable.

If your issue is with a package, complain to the packager.

> In my case, I'm running FreeBSD. I initially installed mailman from
> ports, but I'm having way too much trouble with ports in general, and
> so I am moving to the pkg system which does precompiled packages.
>
> Apparently the maintainer for the pkg version decided to use a
> different group than the ports maintainer.
>
> I'm using postfix. I don't really see how postfix even runs the
> script, let alone how to tell it to run it with a different group.

There are generally two ways Postfix delivers to Mailman. One way, the
only recommended way, is via Aliases. When a Postfix alias is a pipe,
Postfix runs the pipe as the user and primary group of the owner of the
aliases.db file in which the pipe alias is found. Note the group is NOT
necessarily the group of the aliases.db file; it IS the primary group of
the owner of the aliases.db file. See the DELIVERY RIGHTS paragraph in
'man 8 local'

The other way is via a script postfix_to_mailman.py which is included in
the Debian package. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/EYDt>. With
postfix_to_mailman.py, the script runs wit the user (and user's group)
set for the 'mailman' transport in master.cf