[Mailman-Users] Questions about Content Filtering

Nancy cybergram at eastlink.ca
Wed Aug 20 14:34:17 CEST 2014

Hi folks, I am not very technically inclined and I'm the co- listkeeper for a group. We have had some problems lately and we were wondering
what would happen if we made changes to the Content Filtering section of the Admin page?

If :
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
were removed would the listkeepers, as owners of the group receive bounces from everyone who tried to send formatted text?

If these two lines were changed from "Yes" to "No" what would happen?

Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part content?  No Yes X<http://lists.oso-aa.org/mailman/admin/grow/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives>

Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion happens after MIME attachments have been stripped. No Yes X

Examples of our current problem:

1.This    at the end of every sentence & inserted in several places in sentences:
Louise can't get email.

2. One continuous paragraph arrives when the sender had made appropriate paragraphs

3. Complete gibberish:
MLN€13:46 UTC−4
\Ý[˜]Z\™NˆÚ\œšYHÛÛ™H\Ú\œšYP at arthlink.net>
Øš™]ˆ°ê\ˆÙ[ÛÛYHÈÔ“ÕΈ[\ܘ\žHMentor hi from Jessi first nine days

> Hi Sherrie
€ Day 10 :)
‚F†æ²­÷Rf÷"6†V6¶­ær­ââÆ÷fRF†Rw&÷W. Reading the threads in my inbox every day <http://lists.oso-aa.org/mailman/admin/grow/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext>

Are these  problems caused by many people now using cell phones & tablets to send email?

Thank you for your patience & any help you might provide.

Nancy