[Mailman-Users] Mailman error (2.1.16): "low level unrecoverable exception"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 30 23:34:51 CEST 2014

On 04/30/2014 11:30 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> What does this error message mean? "low level unrecoverable exception"

It means something really bad happened. One of the Mailman web CGIs
threw an exception and the CGI driver script encountered another
exception while trying to log a traceback and the environment info.

> I just installed my own build of mailman 2.1.16 (built under CentOS 5 x84_64)
> as an upgrade over the stock 2.1.9 that comes with CentOS 5 and I am getting
> this error. What should I be looking for?

Did you restart Mailman or stop before, start after?

Did you totally remove the Centos package or try to 'upgrade' it. The
latter is not at all straightforward. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB>.

There was an issue a while back, see
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-November/047814.html>,
but this was due to a SuSE patch that referenced a Python xml library
that wasn't installed. The specifics aren't relevant to your issue, but
it could indicate there's something missing in your python. Have you
installed the python-dev package?