[Mailman-Users] Disappearing messages

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Wed Apr 30 18:10:17 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 07:22 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 04/30/2014 05:53 AM, Robert P. Schwartz wrote:
> >>From some mailing list, the yahoo user's are getting the messages.
> > Obviously, there are some setting that they did that other's not have.  What
> > could it be?
>

> It is not a Yahoo user's setting. They can't control it.

And just to be clear here, I don't believe that it's possible for a
cooperating ESP to make rejection a per-user choice either.  Consider an
email with multiple recipients served by the same SMTP server.  Because
of the way SMTP works, all recipients have to be approved or rejected
_before_ the From body header is received, so instead of rejecting a
post during the initial transaction with the list server, the post must
be accepted and then a NDR sent back from the MDA or some other
component.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.  I know that this is an issue
with our mail server here when any kind of per-user content filtering is
applied to inbound email.

I'm not sure how Mailman handles this - if it counts a bounce if the
initial SMTP transaction is successful but subsequently receives a NDR
for a recipient address from some other component of the recipient's
mail system.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |