[Mailman-Users] Urgent List Migration/Transfer - Need some help

Drew Tenenholz drew.tenenholz at isid.org
Thu Apr 24 00:37:46 CEST 2014

All --

I need to move my existing Mailman system to a new AWS Server ASAP and could use some advice.  The current server works just fine, the current problem is that the network it is on has been attacked, and the higher ups at IT have shut off all mail communication (in or out) to the internet.

So, someone not familiar with Mailman at all has this idea of moving the entire setup (lists, subscribers, any messages in the queues would be great) to a AWS instance.  They have already gotten underway by .tar-ring  var/lib/mailman/ and think they can simply unpack this.  I'm sure that isn't going to work.

I know there is migration documentation in the Wiki & archives
<http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030682>
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-January/055208.html>
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-January/055211.html>

But would like to clarify that this information is up-to-date for our install (Mailman 2.1.9 --> ?? presumably the same or even a newer and better version).

I don't even have access tot he new server yet, so I can't comment on it's specs....sorry to be in a bit of a panic, it's really just other folks making this into an emergency.

Thanks for any help offered (including those who would like to get paid to do the work).,

Drew Tenenholz