[Mailman-Users] Emails from yahoo members, are getting rejected by yahoo, "Service Unavailable".

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 15 20:29:35 CEST 2014

 > On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse at fmp.com> wrote:

 > > So just to be clear, putting a damper on this at this point requires
 > > _only_ that posts from yahoo.com be blocked from posting to a list.  Is
 > > this correct?  This can be done by selectively unsubscribing (or
 > > moderating) current yahoo.com users and adding "^.*@yahoo\.com" to the
 > > ban_list of addresses banned from membership going forward.

That's a bit bloodthirsty!  I like that! :-)  Seriously, if people want
to read their list mail at Yahoo, that's not a technical problem.  I
would class banning subscriptions as "harrassment".

 > > Should some other ESP start publishing advisory DMARC records
 > > then said ESP would need to be added to the ban_list as well.

To be precise, almost certainly all of the services on Mark's list do
publish advisory records; they just don't include the p=reject option.

For privacy advocates, this means that they *may* get failure-to-
authenticate reports, which *may* contain full mail text (remember,
this is for spam-fighting).

Jim Popovitch writes:

 > However, given the yahoo fallout, I think it will be a while before
 > we see anymore of this kinds of shenanigans.  I'm still predicting
 > that yahoo pulls their dmarc record

I suspect they will, too.  I already have four students who are
switching away from yahoo because of this (they're not even on my
mailing lists yet, I'm adding them now!)

Steve