[Mailman-Users] Emails from yahoo members, are getting rejected by yahoo, "Service Unavailable".

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Tue Apr 15 06:03:23 CEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 12:33 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Note that Yahoo! has initiated a denial of service attack on millions
> of innocent list subscribers.  *This is not a one-time problem.*  This
> will happen again every time a new domain changes its policy to
> reject, because even if we break *future* Mailman to conform to
> Yahoo!'s Brave New World, *past* Mailman installations will continue
> to exist and many of them will have taken stopgap measures (eg,
> moderating all Yahoo! subscribers).  We have to take a stand against
> this kind of behavior.

Well said, Stephen!  Having a presence in a number of different worlds,
including the entertainment business, I frequently have had the
opportunity to address the question on FB and elsewhere, "what is the
Internet?"  My answer is always that the Internet, at a fundamental
level, is a collection of agreements on how things are going to work
(coupled with some absolutely brilliant and foresighted CS technology).
This agreement spanned government, corporate (large and small) and
educational entities, and everyone realized that the whole could be
greater than the sum of its parts, and behaved accordingly.

If history teaches us anything, it's that such social mindsets have a
lifespan, and that the lifespan appears to be inversely proportional to
the success of model in which it flourished.

In the long run, I think Murphy's Law and its 1st corollary offer a note
of wisdom.

Law:  "If you play with anything long enough, it's gonna break."

Corollary: "True, but there's always still something you can do with
it."

--
Lindsay Haisley                    | "The only unchanging
Autoharpist, musical entertainer   |    certainty is the