[Mailman-Users] Best solution to fix the yahoo problem?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Apr 13 23:33:19 CEST 2014

On 04/13/2014 01:59 PM, Joseph Brennan wrote:

>> In any event, I'm a unclear about the best solution (if there is one).

Mailman 2.1.16 and up already has the ability to either mung the From:
header or wrap the original post in an outer message From: the list.

There is a minor bug in that this is also applied to posts to
LIST-owner, but that is fixed for 2.1.18.

The major problem is it requires site configuration action to make this
option available to list owners.

See the thread starting at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2014-April/076372.html>
for lots of info.

See the post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2014-April/076388.html>
for links to the patches.

> My inclination is to refuse postings from addresses @yahoo.com, since
> accepting them will interfere with everyone's use of our list system.
>
> The only issue for me is precisely how to implement it.

Jim P's branch mentioned in his post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2014-April/076383.html>
is a general implementation for posts From: any domain with a reject
DMARC policy.

We are talking about this at PyCon now. At sprints starting tomorrow, we
will be working on enhancing the current options by merging at least
ideas from Jim P's branch, and making the switches available to list
owners by default, all with an eye to releasing this in 2.1.18 in weeks.

Also see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ggARAQ>.