[Mailman-Users] DMARC issues

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Thu Apr 10 17:18:33 CEST 2014

I hate to say it, but the days of the kinder, gentler internet when
everyone played strictly by the RFCs are passing as operational control
of internet services comes increasingly under the control of fewer,
bigger players who can do as they wish.

This isn't to say that Mailman should break RFCs too, but there are few
options.  SPF inherently breaks mailing lists, which is why heretofore
it's been used mostly as an advisory protocol rather than as a
determinant of whether an email gets delivered, or not.  I understand
that SPF is one of the components of DMARC protocols.

This is the first I've heard of this issue, but it doesn't surprise me
at all.

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 10:25 -0400, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> They're breaking RFC 822 / 5322.
>
>   The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
>    that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
>    for the writing of the message.  [...]
>    In all cases, the "From:" field SHOULD NOT contain any mailbox that
>    does not belong to the author(s) of the message.
>
> I don't think we should compound that by changing the From line.
>

> Joseph Brennan
> Columbia University Information Technology

Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |
512-259-1190          |          --- The Roadie
http://www.fmp.com    |