[Mailman-Users] subscribed address that forwards to secondary address can't be identified

Sat Apr 5 15:54:47 CEST 2014

On 4/4/14, 5:29 PM, Christopher Adams wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is not necessarily a Mailman question, but I thought someone
> administering Mailman may have come across this before.
>
> A person is receiving mail through a list. The address that they are
> currently using (@gmail.com) is not subscribed to the list. I assume that
> means a subscribed address is forwarding to the gmail account. The gmail
> account people don't have any idea what they could have been subscribed as.
> I thought maybe the Mailman or MTA logs would show the susbscribed address
> forwarding to the gmail address. However, I can't find anything, so can't
> identify which address is the culprit.
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to get to the bottom of this?

One tool to do this is the monthly password reminders (if enabled). This
will send an email to every user, giving them the email address they are
subscribed with and their password (I wish there was a way to make the
monthly messages NOT have the password, but when sent as a password
reminder include the password).

Otherwise, it is a matter of just looking through the list of
subscribers trying to find out what address might be theirs. Sometimes
asking them for as many of their previous email addresses that they can
remember to look for things like can give you leads.

--
Richard Damon