[Mailman-Users] Automatic entry into aliases file

Anne Anderson aba at westmont.edu
Tue Apr 1 21:30:55 CEST 2014

Hello -

We just moved Mailman to a new server and the version we're now using is
2.1.14.  I'm sorry I don't remember what the old version was, but it was
pretty old...  we had not upgraded for years (oops).

Anyway, with our old Mailman, whenever I created a new list it would
 automatically put a nice stanza into my aliases file that looked like this:

# STANZA START: academicsenate
# CREATED: Fri Sep  5 14:31:10 2008
academicsenate:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post
academicsenate"
academicsenate-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin
academicsenate"
academicsenate-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
academicsenate"
academicsenate-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
academicsenate"
academicsenate-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join
academicsenate"
academicsenate-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave
academicsenate"
academicsenate-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner
academicsenate"
academicsenate-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request
academicsenate"
academicsenate-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
academicsenate"
academicsenate-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
academicsenate"
# STANZA END: academicsenate

It would place it in the file in the correct alphabetical order, and it
would run newaliases when it was finished.

I have to confess I got rather spoiled, never having to put in the aliases
entries.

But with this new version, when I create a new list I get a message showing
me the format of the aliases entry and telling me I have to put this into
the aliases file myself.

It seems strange to me that Mailman would have this nice automatic entry
feature, and then would somehow go back to making us do it by hand again.

I must be missing something.  Is there a configuration that I can tweak
that will enable automatic entry into the aliases file?

We are running on Ubuntu precise (12.04.4 LTS)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Anne

Anne Anderson
Web Application Developer / Database Manager
Information Technology
Westmont College