[Mailman-Users] Disaster recovery: fastest / best route advice sought

Richard richard at KarmannGhia.org
Wed Sep 25 21:44:15 CEST 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, Fil wrote:

> I would suggest that, on the Web server, you just proxy /mailman/ to your
> Mailman's web service.
> If you're using apache, something like this on the Web front-end will do:
>

> ProxyPass /mailman http://ml.example.com/mailman
> ProxyPassReverse /mailman http://ml.example.com/mailman
>

> If you're using varnish, all the better, just define the mailman URL as a
> backend.
>
> -- Fil

Hi Fil, thanks for the reply...

...I dont' know what 'varnish' is (in this context), but I do have Apache
running services on two web server systems...

I've never heard of this ProxyPass, or ProxyPassReverse (no surprise
there!) so please help confirm my new understanding of them: I take it
that in the example you gave, the URL (http://ml.example.com/mailman)
pertains to the internal system, and ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse are
the two directions of a bidirectional feed that, in effect, makes the
internal web server's targeted URL (namely, access to mailman) presented
as "mailman" in whatever Apache container (like a virtual host) these
parameters are included under?

So, that's making not the whole internal web server but JUST whereever
that URL points to now be served by the external lable that's the first
argument to ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse?

If I understand correctly, GEEZ THAT'S COOL, and _completely_ solves my
dilema! Please Confirm I got it!

THANK YOU,
Richard