[Mailman-Users] postfix error : user unknown "local" with mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 10 18:45:25 CEST 2013

On 09/10/2013 06:15 AM, renaud courvoisier wrote:
> just installed mailman and integrated it to postfix,
> I tried to send a test mail to the list and recieved this error message :
>
> Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
> <local at mydomain.tld> (expanded from <mailman at listes.mydomain2.tld>):
> unknown user: "local"
>
> in my /var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman I've :
> # STANZA START: mailman
> # CREATED: Mon Sep  9 13:25:54 2013
> mailman at listes.mydomain2.tld              local
> mailman-admin at listes.mydomain2.tld        local
> mailman-bounces at listes.mydomain2.tld      local
> mailman-confirm at listes.mydomain2.tld      local
> mailman-join at listes.mydomain2.tld         local
> mailman-leave at listes.mydomain2.tld        local
> mailman-owner at listes.mydomain2.tld        local
> mailman-request at listes.mydomain2.tld      local
> mailman-subscribe at listes.mydomain2.tld    local
> # STANZA END: mailman
>
> I also have a /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual_to_transport script :
> #!/bin/sh
> sed -r -e 's/(^[^#]\S+\s+).+$/\1local/' $1 \
>  > /var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman
> /usr/sbin/postmap /var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman

Are you following the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj>? That is only
for very unusual situations.

> A postconf -n reply :
> virtual_alias_maps =
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/transport-mailman

The above appears to be the problem. The transport-mailman file is a
transport map, not a virtual alias map. the file referenced in
virtual_alias_maps should be virtual-mailman, but exactly how that plays
with your transport_maps is unclear.

What's in mm_cfg.py?

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> for the
recommended way to to this without transport maps for Mailman.