[Mailman-Users] Messages disappear after moderator approval

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 2 06:27:38 CEST 2013

On 08/22/2013 03:46 PM, Nicholas Waller wrote:
> We are seeing messages get dropped after passing through moderation
> on every one of our mailing lists.
>
> == Moderation fails when performed on a *separate* webserver == Our
> Mailman environment is split across two servers, front-end and
> back-end. The back-end server handles Postfix and the Mailman
> qrunners, while the front-end server hosts Apache and the Mailman CGI
> scripts for moderating lists. The two servers share an NFS mount
> between them that includes all the shared Mailman data.

ALL? Exactly what directories are shared?

> All normal
> mail flow is working correctly, but when a list moderator logs into
> the web frontend and approves a message, it disappears without a
> trace.
>
> 1. Postfix smtpd receives the incoming message over SMTP, then 2.
> Postfix smtpd delivers the message to /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman.
> 3. Mailman marks writes to vette logfile (backend server) that
> message is held for approval. 4. List moderator uses CGI web
> interface to mark the message as approved. 5. Mailman writes an entry
> to vette logfile (on frontend server) saying held message approved.

Implying the log files are not shared?

> 6. At this point, the .pck file related to the held message
> disappears, but nothing is delivered, and no further log entries are
> created.

Is there anything in Mailman's 'error' log(s)?

Is the Mailman/ directory shared? If not, what is the value of
VAR_PREFIX, QUEUE_DIR and INQUEUE_DIR in Mailman/Defaults.py or
Mailman/mm_cfg.py on the frontend? I.e., are the queues NFS shared with
the backend?

I'm guessing that the message gets put in the qfiles/in/ queue on the
frontend and this is not the queue processed by IncomingRunner on the
backend.