[Mailman-Users] Problems seeing Archive, after setting to private, then back

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 13 19:28:12 CEST 2013

On 10/12/2013 11:03 PM, Jake Overton wrote:

> Here is my problem:
> I turned the archive_private option to private (thinking that this meant
> that it is private from the internet)

private means the archive is accessible only to list members who
authenticate with their list member address and list password.

public means the archive is accessible to the world, indexed in search
engines, etc.

These are the only two options.

> Now when I turn it back to public and go to the "Go to list archives" link
> on the admin page, I get directed to this address
>
> http://website.org/pipermail/Listname_website.org/

This is as it should be. It can be changed by setting PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL
in mm_cfg.py. The default is

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

but if your server is a shared hosted server, you certainly won't be
able to change this.

> and get a Page not found message

This may be a cPanel issue (see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>). In any case, the web server needs to
have something like

Alias   /pipermail/     $varprefix/archives/public/

where in cPanel, $varprefix is usually /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman

> If I turn it to private and login using members email that gets emailed in
> cleartext, then I can see my posts.
> This is a mailing list for the exec committee of an organization, so we
> want it to be private, but have an archive of our posts and correspondence.

So you don't want a public archive.

> I just want to go back to being able to see the archives with postings from
> everyone.

Which you should be able to do with a private archive after
authenticating as a list member.

What URL went to the archive before? You could always change the link on
the listinfo