[Mailman-Users] Search by Message-ID, preserving Cc for direct recipients

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 15 21:47:10 CEST 2013

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> writes:

> The Message-ID of the post is in the HTML page containing the post, but
> it is only in an In-Reply-To= fragment of a mailto: URL that isn't
> indexed in htdig. Also, it's URL encoded so <, > and @ are %3C, %3E and
> %40 respectively. The actual Message-ID: headers are in the periodic
> *.txt files.
>
> This leads to a few possibilities such as teaching htdig to index the
> .txt files (may be tricky, I just spent a couple of minutes looking at
> this and didn't see it), changing the noindex start and end tags in the
> list's archives/private/LIST/htdig/LIST.conf file so that everything in
> the HTML files including the URL encoded Message-ID is indexed or
> writing a separate CGI search script to search the .txt files for the
> Message-ID.
>
> Or, use mail-archive.com which is probably simplest.

Okay, thanks.  I'll talk with the others here and decide what to do.

> I've learned a lot in the last 7 years ;)
>
> The reason is to keep the Cc: list from growing excessively long in long
> threads involving many people (see the subsequent post(s) in that thread).

Yeah, I saw that, but I don't care how long the Cc list gets.  I would
rather allow people to filter aggressively and not worry about missing
posts that may be relevant to them.  It's common on other lists
(evidently not those managed by mailman, vger.kernel.org is a
high-profile example) to by convention, always Cc everyone that is
likely to be interested.  Asking recipients to write rules in terms of
thread ancestry isn't sufficient either: when we later do more work that
is somehow related, we might start a new thread and Cc everyone from
prior threads that were related.  If the list chronically drops Cc, it
can be hard to figure out everyone that should be Cc'd in a new topic.

Anyway, can I interpret your response as being that mailman always drops
Cc and there is no configuration option?