[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue May 14 17:26:29 CEST 2013

Thank you for your reply.

QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME = seconds(1) in Defaults.py

Mesages are being archived almost immediately. There is nothing in the in/
queue.

There currently are about 954 files in the out/ queue and seemingly always
growing. Is that significant?

A message sent yesterday at 12:30 was received by Mailman within seconds.
It delivered at 3:30. The smtp.log for that message shows:

May 13 15:32:36 2013 (26531)
<0B03FE68E0E760478D413F045B39A028380323EA at OSLEXCHANGE.my.mail.server.local>
smtp to test7 for 2 recips, completed in 0.020 seconds

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 05/13/2013 08:39 PM, Christopher Adams wrote:
> >  Postfix sends the list message it to the remote server, which shows that
> > it was accepted by the Mailman server.
>

> We are not communicating here. The above makes no sense to me. I think
> the sequence is:
>
>  - List mail arrives at the local Postfix.
>  - Postfix delivers to the local Mailman.
>  - Mailman delivers - here I don't know if to the local Postfix for
> relay to the remote server or directly to the remote server. The
> mm_cfg.py setting for SMTPHOST determines this. The Default is localhost
> meaning relay via the local Postfix.
>

> > The Mailman server has logs that
> > show that the message was directed to the command 'post' to list 'test7'.
> > However, nothing happens after that for 2-7 hours. Once it actually sends
> > to the list, there are smpt.log entries that show it going to 'x
> recipients'
>

> OK, so here you are saying that the delay is definitely in Mailman. I.e.
> Postfix delivers to the mailman mail wrapper which presumably
> immediately queues the message in Mailman's in/ queue, and it's a long
> time later that Mailman logs the delivery.
>
> What is the processing time in the smtp log entry. Is it a few seconds
> or less or hours?
>
> I'm guessing that during this time IncomingRunner or OutgoingRunner or
> both are asleep. Do you have a setting in mm_cfg.py for
> QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME? The default in Defaults.py is (or should be)
>
> QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME = seconds(1)
>
> If you have set this to a few hours, it would explain the behavior you
> are seeing. If not, when does the post get archived? Is that delayed too?
>
> Also, messages in the in/ queue are processed by IncomingRunner and then
> queued in the archive/ queue for ArchRunner and the out/ queue for
> OutgoingRunner. You could look and see if messages move from the in/
> queue quickly or not.
>
> Note that if you have set QRUNNER_SLEEP_TIME to say 4 hours, messages
> can sit in the in/ queue for an average of 2 and up to 4 hours before
> moving to the out/ queue where they may wait up to an additional 4 hours
> before being sent.
>
> --

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com