[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue May 14 05:39:28 CEST 2013

 Postfix sends the list message it to the remote server, which shows that
it was accepted by the Mailman server. The Mailman server has logs that
show that the message was directed to the command 'post' to list 'test7'.
However, nothing happens after that for 2-7 hours. Once it actually sends
to the list, there are smpt.log entries that show it going to 'x recipients'

The problem is not non-delivery but extremely slow delivery, anywhere from
2-8 hrs,even for a small list (2 subscribers) like the test7 list. The
Mailman server has over 600 lists and 250,000 subscribers. Some of the
lists have 40,000 subscribers. Additionally, there is quite a bit of spam
being sent to the list owner addresses and other attempts at posts by
spammers, many which are flagged and blocked. That is just to point out
that there is a lot going on with the Mailman server.

What would be some reasons for such long delays and why does it seem that
they seem to be "released" all at the same time. If they have been handed
off to Mailman,where are they held during this long delay?  Are there some
optimizations that could  be made in mm_cfg.py and/or with Postfix? I saw
some reference to some work that had already been done with this, but it
appears to be from 2008.

Thank for any suggestions that you might have.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 05/13/2013 09:32 AM, Christopher Adams wrote:
> > Below is a log of a message sent from me. The remote server handles mail
> > from my mail server. It is sent to the test7 mailing list address. From
> > there, Mailman/Postfix handles the dissemination of mail.
>

> Does Mailman send to your Postfix to relay to the remote server. If so,
> what are the Postfix log entries for the mail from Mailman through
> Postfix to the remote server?
>
> In any case, what is Mailman's smtp log entry for the post (the one for
> the message-id of the post)?
>
> The time stamp of the smtp log entry is the time that Mailman completed
> smtp delivery of the post to Postfix or the remote server as the case
> may be.
>
> --

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com