[Mailman-Users] zero length .pck files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 28 19:47:56 CET 2013

On 3/28/2013 6:45 AM, Hone, Don wrote:
> In /var/lib/mailman/data there are some bounce-events*.pck files that are zero length. Is it safe to delete these? Is there some process that should be cleaning them up?

Yes, it is safe to delete them. The digits in the
bounce-events-ddddd.pck name are the PID of the BounceRunner that
created it. If that runner is no longer running, nothing will remove the
orphaned file.

The creation of zero length files is really a bug which I think I can
fix, but crashes and other anomalies can also leave orphaned
bounce-events files.

> In the same directory are old heldmsg-*.pck files. I can go into each mailing list and change the max_days_to_hold from 0 to something. I’m guessing that will clear it up. Is there an easier way? Should all lists have a non-zero number for that value? What is the best practice?

Use bin/discard to remove them.