[Mailman-Users] Digest mode sending individual emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 14 17:33:56 CET 2013

ml lists wrote:

>I had/have the following
>digest_size_threshhold = 30
>digest_send_periodic = no
>digest_volume_frequency = weekly
>
>And if I understood correctly, this regardless of threshhold size
>should only send weekly, no?

No. This will send a digest whenever the size reaches about 30K bytes
and only then. If posts to the list are large, I.e. greater than about
30K, this will send a digest for each post.

Periodic digests will not be sent.

Digest volume frequency has nothing to do with when digests are sent.
It controls how often the Vol number in the Subject line "LISTNAME
Digest, Vol ##, Issue ##" is incremented and the Issue number reset to
1.

>With "cron/senddigests"  should there be a crontab entry on the system
>for this or is it controlled elsewhere?

There should be a crontab for mailman that runs several jobs. Depending
on how Mailman was installed, this may be a system crontab, e.g.,
/etc/cron.d/mailman, or the Mailman user's crontab, e.g.,
/var/spool/cron/mailman.