[Mailman-Users] Help! Mailman's Digest Option Sending Too Many Digests

Yosem Companys ycompanys at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 21:53:24 CET 2013

Thank you to everyone who responded. To avoid cluttering your inbox, I'll
respond to all of your questions in this one email.

I originally had the drone list options set to the following:

   - When receiving digests, which format is default? MIME.
   - How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? 300.
   - Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
   Yes.
   - How often should a new digest volume be started? Daily.

That seemed to work for a while, but all of a sudden this week all the
digest subscribers started complaining that they were receiving 1 digest
per message.

So I went about changing the options.  The first thing I thought was that
the threshold was too low, so I increased it.  Since I had read on the web
that zero meant unlimited, I did that.  I now realize that the
documentation on those sites must be wrong, as it is correct on the "List
Administration Manual," to which one of you drew my attention:
https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin/node19.html.  In any
case, this explains why when I would send a message that only said TEST in
the subject, a new digest was created.

Once the logical thing did not work, I wrote to ask for your help.  But, as
I had subscribers dropping out like flies, I played around with the options
until I found a configuration that stopped the problem.  This was achieved
with the following:

   - When receiving digests, which format is default? Plain.
   - How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? 300.
   - Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
   No.
   - How often should a new digest volume be started? Weekly.

Now I realize that what probably fixed the problem was the combination of
"Plain" and "300."  Given that, I will keep that threshold, change the
options to the following, and cross my fingers:

   - When receiving digests, which format is default? Plain.
   - How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? 300.
   - Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
   Yes.
   - How often should a new digest volume be started? Monthly.

I assume 300 is more than enough for plain text.

Thanks all for your help! :)

Yosem

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:39 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
wrote:
> Yosem Companys writes:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I'm one of the moderators of the Stanford University Program on
Liberation