[Mailman-Users] URL of scrubbed attachments missing in the list archive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 27 00:38:30 CEST 2013

On 06/26/2013 02:57 PM, kardan wrote:

> I deactivated the collapse_alternatives as this was not what I intended.
[...]
> Basically I prefert text to html mails and would like to keep
> convert_html_to_plaintext=yes as I know some members have quite weird
> colour and formatting settings as default. So far none of the list
> members complained.

If you prefer plain text to HTML or other fancy text, you probably DO
want collapse_alternatives = Yes as that will normally select a plain
text alternative in preference to an HTML alternative.

See <http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types>.

> However accepting application/octet-stream seems risky and I see no way
> to handle that properly, except whitelisting all accepted types like
> pdf, jpg, png and all documents. However odt with embedded macros can
> be harmful as well. So there is probably no easy fix for that.

Note that filtering/accepting based on file extension is not at all
reliable as many inline images with media types like image/jpeg,
image/gif, image/png, etc. will not have an associated file name and
therefore cannot be filtered/accepted based on filename extension. The
same is also sometimes true for application/pdf and many other media types.

[...]
> The option to link attachments in the archive instead of
> forwarding them sounds like the best solution in my eyes, while
> accepting the above issues still.

If by the above, you mean the option (scrub_nondigest) to remove, store
aside and link to attachments in individual messages and MIME format
digests, then you are correct in what it does, however, attachments are
always removed, stored aside and replaced by links in archived posts and
plain format digests regardless of this option. The option only controls
at what point in the process the removal/replacement occurs.