[Mailman-Users] Branch with extra features - was: Ordering of messages in the moderation queue by date?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 26 00:18:06 CEST 2013

Just for information, I have installed the patch for message ordering in
the admindb held message summary in the Bazaar branch at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.2> (lp:mailman/2.2).

This branch is essentially the 2.1 branch with the addition of a few
features and bug fixes as described under 2.2.0a0 in its NEWS file. The
original goals for the 2.2 branch have been superceded by Mailman 3, and
at this point, the intent is that it will never be released. It is
however, tested and stable and is the basis of the Mailman I run on my
production server. Most, if not all the differences between this branch
and the 2.1 branch have not been backported to 2.1 for i18n reasons.

Note however that the fact that I run it in production doesn't
necessarily mean that the held message ordering is heavily tested as I
seldom see more than one held message at a time on my lists.

Anyway, if you are interested in this message ordering feature and
possibly others, look at the 2.2.0a0 section at
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.2/view/head:/NEWS>,
and consider using this branch.

Caveat: Topics regexps are handled differently (more in agreement with
documentation) in this branch than they are in 2.1. If you use Topics
and install this branch, your Topics regexps will be converted, but if
you go back to 2.1, they won't be converted back, so it would be a good
idea to use bin/config_list before installing 2.2 to back up any topics
settings so they can be restored if you go back to 2.1. Also, because of
the way Mailman detects the need for updates, if you YoYo back and
forth, Topics regexps will only be converted the first time, so consider
also backing up the 2.2 settings.