[Mailman-Users] Ordering of messages in the moderation queue by date?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 20 00:02:30 CEST 2013

On 06/16/2013 08:48 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 06/15/2013 08:09 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> I run a heavy traffic list where all messages are moderated, and
>> conversations are long. I typically would prefer to see the queue of
>> messages awaiting moderation in time order, not alphabetically by
>> email address as happens by default.
>
> I don't think it would be too difficult. I have some thoughts on how to
> do it. I'll post a follow up later when I have time to flesh it out.

Attached is a preliminary patch to Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py.

The patch includes a hard coded setting

SUMMARY = 1

which presents the held messages summary in time order. Setting

SUMMARY = 0

produces the current grouping by sender in sender sequence with the
additional guarantee that each sender's messages are listed in time
sequence within that sender's box.

My initial thought is that this will be a list setting, although it
could just be a button on the summary page to reorder the display, but
then there probably should be a 'default order' choice somewhere.

I didn't do group by sender but present the groups in time sequence. If
there is a large outcry for this, I'll consider it, but it leads to
option overload, i.e sorted by senders oldest or most recent.