[Mailman-Users] fixing a "reordered" archive

Matthew Needham mneedham at hdfgroup.org
Tue Jun 18 21:39:13 CEST 2013

On Jun 17, 2013, at 13:01 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 06/17/2013 10:21 AM, Matthew Needham wrote:
>>
>> Older.mbox contains 1512 messages, five of which contain unescaped lines starting with "From ". What's the best way to escape those lines and preserve archive order? Is it as simple as escaping the line and adding an empty "From " immediately after the containing message?
>

> Yes, that should do it.

It did work, but I noticed that cleanarch complained about the new lines. I was a little concerned that a future admin would notice the warnings and "fix" them in a way that broke the archives, so I inserted lines like this:

	From nobody at hdfgroup.org Thu May 31 00:00:00 2007
	Date: Thu May 31 00:00:00 2007

That placed the five empty messages at the very beginning of the archives where they're least likely to bother anyone. This is better than the previous location at the end of the archives, and much better than the previous problem with missing content after the unescaped From. With these changes, a fixed, reordered, and consolidated mbox, and a readme file to inform any future admins, I hope this problem won't return.

Thanks for all your help.

--

Matthew Needham

The HDF Group