[Mailman-Users] fixing a "reordered" archive

Matthew Needham mneedham at hdfgroup.org
Mon Jun 17 19:21:47 CEST 2013

On Jun 12, 2013, at 18:09 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

>> On 06/12/2013 12:10 PM, Matthew Needham wrote:
>>
>> As best as I can tell, there's no way for me to determine which messages were in the archive before older.mbox was added. Is there a way?
>
> If you still have the old archive (maybe on a backup), the first message
> in that archive from older.mbox has number nnnnnn. Message nnnnnn-1 is
> the last of the messages that were in the archive when older.mbox was added.

It took a little while to figure out, but I believe I've gotten everything straightened out. It looks like my complication was the fact that cleararch had been run on my current version of older.mbox, but no when it was originally added to the archives. I found the original file and everything lines up. Thanks for getting me this far.

Older.mbox contains 1512 messages, five of which contain unescaped lines starting with "From ". What's the best way to escape those lines and preserve archive order? Is it as simple as escaping the line and adding an empty "From " immediately after the containing message?

--

Matthew Needham

The HDF Group
1800 South Oak Street, Suite 203