[Mailman-Users] Custom Pages

Janice Boothe nursejanice at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 01:12:38 CEST 2013

--- On Mon, 6/3/13, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

On 06/03/2013 05:06 AM, Janice Boothe wrote:

> You are assuming that a list owner is allowing/offering more than his native
> language.

:No, I am not. I am saying that if his list's language is one whose new
:template is untranslated in the new release, that page is broken for his
:list.

First thank you for continuing to discuss this with me.  As I either have siad or intended to, this is not a personal attack on you or anyone else, it is feedback...

The templates should not have a thing to do with translations (IMHO) and even if they did it would be the list owner who elects to have custom pages to design his pages for all languages he offers.  You are mistakenly thinking I am asking you to do much more than what I am.

> Even if he were, it is on him to code his custom pages with
> the capabilities to #include the appropriate language set.

:You are ignoring the majority of sites/admins/list owners who do not
:customize their Mailman web UI.

It is irrelevant discussion to those who chose to use the vanilla MM pages.

> That all can
>  be done with language files with the translations of any given language
> for each translatable word/ phrase and parameters that call in the
> specific phrase form the users chosen language.  If you have the dynamic ability to build a page based on the specific users chosen language, then you already have the capability to have custom pages do the same.

:The various strings that are used to build the page dynamically are
:translated in that language's message catalog. I suppose I could figure
:out how to pull them together to make a translated template, but it's
:way more work than I am willing to do, and I'm sure the result would be
:less than desirable.

I'm not sure what method you use to pull them together already in the vanilla version of the MM pages, but it seems that you ought to be able to use that exact same method for custom pages.  But it all goes back to the fact that if someone wants custom pages they are the one responsible for writing them so that their languages are addressed.  The whole thing can be addressed by simply adding some sort of IF loop around the body of code that generates the dynamic pages that have no template customization.  Simply test for the presence of the appropriate file name in the appropriate location. If it exists use that and if not proceed with the dynamic build.  I'd do it myself but to dig through the huge mass of code that the programmers already know and could easily modify would take someone such as myself (who knows nohting about what coding conventions are used etc) and extraordinary amount of time.

:As has been pointed out, this is an open source project. Please feel
:free to submit your implementation for consideration in a future Mailman
:2.1 release. As far as Mailman 3/Postorius is concerned, I think this
:issue is already being addressed.

Does not my posts here seem to be recommendations?

I'd enjoy looking into MM3 but the link I was provided is at the very least obscure and extremely difficult to figure anything about the project.  I looked there and absolutely have no idea in hell what is going on with the project, the status, the ETA, who is involved, who to contact about questions suggestions etc.  If there is a link that is a little more user friendly I would love to get it and get on board.

--
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan