[Mailman-Users] Is Mailman 2.1 not plushack aware?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 3 19:08:58 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org>

> > The use of '+' as a tag delimiter is widespread but it is not in any
> > sense a "standard" and comes nowhere near universality. There is no
> > way for a Mailman instance to know which domains make "user+tag" and
> > "user" equivalent and which do not, so canonicalizing as you suggest
> > would result in breakage.
>
> Currently factually and technically correct, But...
>
> There is no reason that Mailman couldn't be enhanced with a configurable
> *option* that would allow the domain Admin to *tell* it which
> character(s) (there was recent talk on the postfix list of postfix being
> enhanced to allow multiple characters to be defined as this delimiter)
> were to be used as delimiters.

In fact, Bills response convinces me -- and I was the OP -- that in fact
that's probably a bad idea: you're trying to make a decision ("does an
address LHS with a plus sign denote a plushack") at a granularity where
it's not valid.

You could do this in MM, but you would have to allow users to set it
(likely, to enable it) at the user-subscription level, not the list
or server levels.  With that caveat, I'd vote for the RFE. :-)

Cheers,
-- jra