[Mailman-Users] aliases file: using globally unique user IDs (as in Sympa virtual domains)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 29 17:53:57 CEST 2013

On 07/29/2013 08:35 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Migrating to Mailman, I'd like to do something like this:
>
>   lists.example.org-list1:
> "|/var/lib/mailmen/lists.example.org/mail/mailman post list1"
>
> where I have a dedicated Mailman install under
> /var/lib/mailmen/lists.example.org just for that domain.
>

> Should this all work OK with Mailman?

Yes.

> Will Mailman even notice that the envelope address was changed into
> something else or does it only look at what is inside the message?

I don't see that any envelope address changes, but in any case, Mailman
doesn't look at envelope recipient. Either the message gets to Mailman
or it doesn't. If it got there, Mailman must have been a recipient.

Mailman does look for the list address in To: or Cc: if the list's
require_explicit_destination is yes.

> Is there any way to automatically create aliases like this, or any hook
> where Mailman can call a script that I use for creating the aliases?

See MTA = 'Postfix' and related settings. You may or may not need to
hack Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py.

Note that I will very soon be off line for about 12 days and don't have
time now for more detail or to answer your other post. Perhaps others on
the list can provide more if you need it.