[Mailman-Users] [SOLVED] Re: message held for moderation "no member", adding address: "already member"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 28 01:18:03 CEST 2013

On 07/27/2013 04:16 AM, kardan wrote:
> Am Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:18:18 -0700
> schrieb Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
>
>> There may be a problem with the actual translation. There are four
>> strings involved. For a post from a non-member, we have
>> 1. reason = _('Post by non-member to a members-only list')
>> 1. "Absender ist nicht Mitglied der Liste -- E-Mails an die Liste aber
>> nur für Mitglieder erlaubt! "
> "Absender ist nicht Mitglied der Liste. Nachrichten an diese Liste nur
> für Mitglieder gestattet."

I'll look at updating that message. Thanks.

>> 2. rejection = _('Non-members are not allowed to post messages to this
>> list.')
>> 2. "Nichtmitgliedern ist es nicht gestattet, Nachrichten auf dieser
>> Liste zu veröffentlichen."
> Ok.
>

>> and for a post with implicit destination, we have
>>
>> 3. reason = _('Message has implicit destination')
>> 3. "Mailadresse der Liste steht nicht im Mailheader (vielleicht wegen
>> einer Weiterleitung?)"
> The message is quite understandable. My problem was it was not
> shown in the moderation interface. There I saw reason 1 instead which
> was misleading. This one is a little more informative:
> "Die Adresse der Liste ist nicht unter den Empfängern (An oder CC).
> Wurde die Nachricht weitergeleitet, oder per BCC verschickt?"

OK. I'll look at updating that one too.

>> 4. rejection = _('''Blind carbon copies or other implicit
>> destinations are not allowed.  Try reposting your message by
>> explicitly including the list address in the To: or Cc: fields.''')
>> 4.
>> "Blindkopien ('BCC:'), oder weitere enthaltene Zieladressen,
>> sind nicht erlaubt. Tragen Sie die Adresse der Mailinmgliste in das
>> 'An:'- oder 'Cc:'-Adressfeld ein und senden Sie Ihre Nachricht bitte
>> noch einmal."
> This message is perfect and should have been shown instead of 1 ("the
> sender is not part of the list"). I don't know why this went wrong.

I don't know wht you saw the wrong message. Two possibilities occur two
me. This could be verified only by looking at the various held message
entries in Mailman's 'vette' log.

The first, and I think more likely possibility is the an initial post
was held as a non-member post and the poster got a notice and subscribed
(You could also check Mailman's 'subscribe' log) before you tried to
subscribe him.

The only other possibility I can think of is the German message catalog
in the Mailman installation that supports your list has been modified or
corrupted somehow and is displaying the wrong translation for strings 3
and 4.

I just thought of a third possibility which seems more likely that the
two above. See below.

>> The 'reasons' are what appear in the admindb summary and the notices
>> to the admin and user. the 'rejections' appear only in the admindb
>> detail as the default rejection message and in rejection messages if
>> the default is not overridden.
>
> If I would have read the first moderation message properly -
> ("Mailadresse der Liste steht nicht im Mailheader (vielleicht wegen
> einer Weiterleitung?)") - I just had overlooked the misleading reason in
> the admindb ("the sender is not part of the list").

That message can be seen in the admindb even though the user is a list
member in the following way.

I explained before how SENDER_HEADERS are consulted to deterrmine if a
post is from a list member. However, once a post is held and displayed
in the admindb interface, admindb uses a different method to determine
the sender. If USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is set to Yes in mm_cfg.py (or
changed to Yes in Defaults.py), admindb will take the contents of a
Sender: header if any in preference to From:.

In this case, the message could be From: a member but have a Sender:
which is not a member, and the message could be held for some other
reason like 'too big' or 'implicit destination' and the left hand side
of the admindb summary will say the sender is not a list member.