[Mailman-Users] bounce processing / bounce score

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 6 20:20:37 CEST 2013

On 07/06/2013 04:34 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Dave Blakemore writes:
>
>  > Specifically I have one user who is not receiving notes

> I'm not sure how you can check for invisible characters
> (like space and tab), Mark would know.

For some time, Mailman has not allowed subscription of an address with
whitespace or 'invalid' characters, but if you have command line access,

bin/list_members -i <listname>

will print any addresses with invalid characters although the invalid
characters ma not themselves be displayed.

>  > and I am wondering if it is at her end or mine.
>
> Check the membership management page for her address, and see if
> delivery has been disabled for bouncing.  If not, the mail is still
> going out from your end.
>
> You could also check logs/bounce, but you'll only find how many
> bounces are being processed in total, not whose.

Actually, the bounce log shows the list, user and score for each bounce
from a list member address.

In addition, you can see the user's current bounce score if > 0 by
clicking the user's address in the Membership Management...-> Membership
List page to go to her user options page where that info is displayed.

Also, there is a withlist script at
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/get_bounce_info.py> which will display
bounce info for members that have any.

> You could also check the MTA queues and logs for temporary and
> permanent failures to her address.
>
>  > How can I see bounced mail?
>
> The delivery status notification?  As far as I know you can only see
> it normally when it's an unknown format.  It doesn't contain any
> interesting information that isn't in other places, anyway.

The actual DSN is not available except that in the case where
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes, the one DSN that triggers the
disable is included in the notice to the owner.