[Mailman-Users] Migration to a new server: recommendations for testing the new Mailman server before changing DNS records; also how to avoid lost/bounced messages during change-over?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 5 02:08:19 CEST 2013

David writes:

 > If anyone has or can come up with an itemized, file-by-file,
 > checklist,

There's not going to be anything like that.  These things differ from
OS to OS and from site to site.

I can tell you that aside from standard Mailman code, docs, and
website data, Debian's mailman package installs the following
configuration directories and files:

/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/mailman
/etc/cron.d
/etc/cron.d/mailman                          # Debian location
/etc/logrotate.d
/etc/logrotate.d/mailman                     # Debian addition
/etc/mailman
/etc/mailman/apache.conf                     # Debian location
/usr/share/doc/mailman/images
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py   # Debian addition
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/qmail-to-mailman.py     # Debian addition
/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py           # Debian modifications?

Notes: "Debian location" indicates files that contain standard
configuration but on Debian are in these locations -- you need to read
them to figure out what is there.  "Debian addition" are files that
Debian adds.  Pay special attention to logrotate, as the Debian policy
for keeping log files may not be what you want.  We do not recommend
use of postfix-to-mailman.py, although "it works for me".  We know
that is doesn't work for some people.  YMMV.  I don't know about
qmail-to-mailman.py, but I would guess that similar caveat applies.
Of course if you're using a different MTA you don't need to worry
about these files.  Finally, I don't know if there are Debian-specific
modifications in mm_cfg.py, but you may want to beware of that.  I
recommend you save Debian's version, copy yours over, and do a diff.