[Mailman-Users] Confirmation logging

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 4 03:21:33 CEST 2013

On 07/03/2013 04:28 PM, Kip Warner wrote:

> Hey Stephen. Thanks for your help. I passed on your comments to DH and
> this is what they said:
>
>         The web interface has the same problem as the mail interface --
>         the logs rotate and are not available after a certain span of
>         time. Everything else in [Stephen's] email is theoretical and
>         not applicable to our installation as it exists now.

Well, I don't know what they mean by theoretical. Stephen's post, which
correctly mentioned MTA and web server logs which I had ignored in my
reply, was right on target.

Perhaps if you had a simple script that ran daily under cron that picked
up new entries from the subscribe log, correlated them with MTA and web
server logs and wrote sufficient information to a cumulative file would
satisfy them.

Or possibly you could require admin approval for subscribes and convince
them that you will collect sufficient info before approving a
subscription, although that would be a pain if there were many subscribes.

> It just seems goofy, given that they allow us to use Mailman for a
> discussion list, but not as an announcement list. The only practical
> difference between the former and latter is that only one person is
> typically allowed to post in the latter case, whereas both situations
> can potentially have a post with thousands of recipients.

Yes, it is goofy, but they can set any policy they want for use of their
service, no matter how irrational.

What if you set your list up as a "discussion" list and just decide to
moderate everyone and only allow posts with an Approved: <password>
header and only give the password to one or a few people. Would that be
a violation?