[Mailman-Users] Confirmation logging

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 3 03:07:04 CEST 2013

On 07/02/2013 04:14 PM, Kip Warner wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to setup a project announcement mailing list on my DreamHost
> server using Mailman, however DreamHost has informed me that Mailman is
> allegedly not compliant with their Anti-Spam policy.
>
>         <https://dreamhost.com/anti-spam-policy/>
>
> Apparently Mailman doesn't handle opt-in confirmations in a way that is
> compliant with it. Specifically, it doesn't log new subscriptions or the
> IP addresses of the confirmation. Is this correct?

Mailman does log new subscriptions in its 'subscribe' log, and some log
entries do contain IP addresses. If everything is done from the web we
get the following in the case where subscribe_policy is confirm:

Jul 02 17:36:02 2013 (3762) list1: pending Mark Sapiro
<mark at msapiro.net>  192.168.1.1

The subscription request.

Jul 02 17:37:18 2013 (3786) list1: new Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>,
via web confirmation

The confirmation. There is no IP for the confirmation which is a problem.

In the case where subscribe_policy is confirm and approve we get:

Jul 02 17:38:40 2013 (3796) list1: pending Mark Sapiro
<mark at msapiro.net>  192.168.1.1

The subscription request.

Jul 02 17:40:08 2013 (3810) list1: new Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>,
via admin approval

The approval. Note the confirmation isn't even logged.

In the case of subscription requests and/or confirmations by email,
there is just a "via email" notastion and what would you log for IP in
those cases anyway.

You could ensure subscribe_policy is confirm so confirmations are
logged, disable all email commands having to do with subscription or
confirmation, edit the verify.txt template to remove the email
confirmation language, edit the call to mlist.ProcessConfirmation() in
Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py to pass the IP and edit the definition of
ProcessConfirmation() in Mailman/MailList.py to pass the IP to
ApprovedAddMember() as part of the whence argument.

Otherwise, you probably can't satisfy DreamHost's requirement.