[Mailman-Users] Amazon SES and Verified Senders

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Jan 12 18:03:26 CET 2013

Duane Winner writes:

 > >>When sending through Amazon SES, instead of using the
 > >>From address of your user, instead use your organization's email
 > >>address with a "friendly name" which identifies the user. Only
 > >>the email address portion is verified, so you can send with
 > >>From addresses like so:

Now that is a real WTF.  "We suggest that you automatically obscure
the sources of the spam you're passing through to your users so that
it will pass our verification process."

But since that's what they recommend, you can probably sue them if
they try to kick you off for doing it.

 > If find it hard to believe that this isn't a common issue, since
 > many people need a 3rd party SMTP relay....  Is it possible that
 > this just doesn't come up much because people who run Mailman run
 > everything, including their own SMTP relay in-house?

Actually, I would guess that the majority of people using Mailman to
host lists are relatively unsophisticated and do so on a virtual host
which provides Mailman for them.  That wouldn't do them much good if
their users couldn't post.  Of course the folks who are answering
questions on this list probably generally do have their own MXes.

I suppose this problem will come up more frequently as IaaS becomes
more popular.