[Mailman-Users] Mailman error log file

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 27 01:16:14 CET 2013

On 2/26/2013 3:02 PM, Hung Phan wrote:
> We, however, have a different issue. We use logrotate to rotate the error log daily. After we implemented that, the new error log file stays at 0. Is it normal? Posts mention other services also write entries in this log file besides exim so should the file stay at 0 after 2 days?

Almost everything written to Mailman's error log is the result of some
kind of error or exception that should not normally occur. Some of these
can result from user errors such as an invalid list name in a URL to
access a web admin page or an invalid private archive URL, but most
indicate some kind of Mailman internal error, so yes, it is normal for
this log to be empty and when it isn't, the messages should be examined
to see if there is some error condition that should be attended to.

Note: exim writes its own logs. It does not write to Mailman's logs. The
'error' log messages from set_debuglevel(1) are written by Python's
smtplib module used by Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py