[Mailman-Users] SMTP_MAX_RCPTS setting

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sun Feb 17 18:51:33 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm looking to add some rate limiting to my postfix, but need to know
how postfix's smtpd_recipient_limit interacts with mailman...

After thinking about this, I just don't really see any rational reason
that normal users should be sending to 100 recipients at one time. If
they need a list, they can ask me to set one up for them.

So, my understanding is that if I send an email to one of my lists, and
it has 50 people who are at the same destination domain (ie
'example.com'), then mailman will generate a single message with 50
recipients to this one domain (and separate messages for other domains)
- is this correct?

If so, and if I reduce postfix's smtpd_recipient_limit to, say, 20, then
I would also need to set SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to to 20 (or something lower
maybe?), correct?

Thanks