[Mailman-Users] Subject line message filtering

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Tue Feb 12 17:26:46 CET 2013

On 2/11/2013 6:40 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Chris Nulk wrote:
{SNIP}
>> The only issue I have now is the boss wants to be able to send a reject
>> message if a message is rejected when it matches a rule.  The only
>> option I have is to hold the message and let the moderator send the
>> rejection notice.  And since, the header rule is for our global lists, I
>> am the lucky moderator.
>
> If you mean you want to reject the message with something other than
> the "Message rejected by filter rule match" message, then you are
> correct unless you want to modify the message in the SpamDetect.py
> module, i.e. change the message in
>
>                      raise Errors.RejectMessage(
>                          _('Message rejected by filter rule match'))
>
> Making it something like:
>
>                      raise Errors.RejectMessage(
>                          _("""Some long winded,
>                            Multiple line
>                            Rejection message
>                            """))
>
> However, I hope these are just legitimate notifications that shouldn't
> have been sent to a list and not spam. It is a very bad idea to reject
> anything that might be spam because the rejection almost certainly
> goes to some innocent 3rd party whose address was spoofed in the
> message's headers. This is known as backscatter and is bad.

The messages I am trying to keep from getting to the list are Google
Calendar invitations (and cancellations).  For these messages or
specifically targeted non-spam type messages where I have to use the
spam filters to get rid of them, I would like to send a rejection notice
giving a reason why the posting is not allowed.  Any spam filters I set
up for known spam and like messages, I usually just discard the
message.  I certainly don't want to do any backscatter.

Thanks, Mark.

Chris