[Mailman-Users] Questions on Mailman list administration.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 19 16:18:37 CET 2013

On 12/19/2013 12:30 AM, Joe wrote:

> On December 14, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>>
>> You could create a script on your work station to issue 'wget' commands
>> to do the subscribes. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> and
>> the post at
>> <https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041214.html>.
>>
>> The script could be something like
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> for list in listname1 listname2 listname3 listname4 listname5; do
>> wget -O - http://[domain.name]/mailman/admin/$list/members/add\
>> ?subscribees="$1"\
>> &adminpw=[admin_password]\
>> &send_welcome_msg_to_this_batch=0\
>> &send_notifications_to_list_owner=0
>> done
>>
>> If this were saved in a file named say sub5 and given execute
>> permission, you could then in a terminal window do
>>
>> /path/to/sub5 "John Doe <jdoe at example.com>"
>>
>> to subscribe that user to the 5 lists. See the above linked post for
>> more info on the wget command parameters.
>
> Thank you Mark but this seems more complicated than subscribing them one list at a time.

It's more complicated to set up, but once you set up and save the
script, it's only a single command to subscribe one person to all 5 lists.

>> Visit the roster at <http://host.name/mailman/roster/list_name directly
>> or via the Visit Subscriber List button on the list's listinfo page.
>
> The link above is broken. My browser shows a blank page with a message stating the address can't be found or does not exist.

Did you substitute your host name and list name for host.name and list_name.

Also, in any case, you can go to the roster from the list's listinfo page.

But I realized later that this roster only shows addresses, not names.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/aYA9> for other methods.

> In regards to printing the list of subscribers, can they be listed in chronological order with date (and perhaps time also) when they were subscribed ?

No. Mailman does not keep that information.